Thursday, April 9, 2009

Q&A’s with Spring Trunk Show Participant Georgi Pearson (er, that's me!)

The Spring Trunk Sale happens on Sunday, April 26th, from 10 to 4pm at the Chocolate Claim. Local artists and designers will show up with a trunk full of handmade, creative works you will love. This is part one of a series of interviews from the Trunk Sale vendors.

Describe your medium – what will you show up with in your trunk?
I sew lots of stuff – bags, totes, purses, aprons, baby clothes and accessories, skirts and I’ve done a few wedding dresses – no bridezillas though! My trunk will have a variety of cotton and linen sewn goods, including belts, wrap skirts, wristlets, small clasp purses, hankies (remember those?) and possibly some up-cycled women’s p.j. pants made from vintage sheets – time permitting!

What do you enjoy about sewing?
Seeing the final product. In fact, I’m very guilty of sewing along like a maniac without checking my work, only to discover I’ve sewn something upside down or backwards. I also really enjoying giving what I make away – I have really appreciative friends and family.

Do you have a favorite tip or skill that’s made things work better for you?
I have a few tools that are handy – a pair of tailor’s scissors on an elastic around my neck at all times, a ruler along the front edge of my sewing table for quick and easy measuring, a 20 pound roll of 36” tracing paper for pattern making…

What do you listen to while making?
Unfortunately the hum of my industrial sewing machine is fairly good at drowning out Jian Ghomeshi. so often I listen to myself thinking - and cursing once in a while.

What are your favourite colours right now?
Brown and aqua.

Where else and when else can we find your work?
At Christmas time I’m easiest to find at the Littlest Art and Craft Fair and the Fireweed Community Market Society Christmas Sale. I have some canvas buckets at Knit Now on 3rd Avenue and sell out of my home downtown. The Spring Trunk Sale is a great non-Christmas opportunity to offer my sewn goods to the public.

Favourite blog/website: makesomething.ca

No comments: